Dingle in the Morning

Dingle in the Morning

Wednesday, December 30, 2015

I haven't gotten a chance to go out and play in the snow yet, but before it snowed I did get a chance to go up to the Clement J. Zablocki VA Medical Center.  I went, not for any medical reason, but because there is a distinctive building you can see from the highway that is somewhat on my way home so I went to investigate it....Although I went to investigate the building referred to as "Old Main" What I discovered was the Wadsworth Library.


A working card catalog.  YEAH.  
When I was at the West Allis Library their computers were down, they had no way of telling which books they had.  
 Although this is a working public library, when I went only the librarian was present.  A nice man who answered all my questions, but I know I was interrupting his reading.


Built in 1891 for $12,000.  The Library, considered support services, was built to free up space in the Old Main. The dark walnut bookcases in the upstairs were moved from the original reading room in the Old Main as part of the attempt to free up space.
Not a particularly beautiful building outside, but the inside was amazing.  With its hard wood book cases and charming architectural details it is a jewel.  The only sad part is the original skylight has been covered to prevent damage from water leaks.  You can see the stained glass but only with the dark backing behind it.

No comments:

Post a Comment